What is A Garden in a Village?
A Garden in a Village is the beginning of a new Community Garden nestled in the Near Northside Village. This is a Healthy Living initiative of Wesley Community Center in an effort to educate community members from pre-school age children to seniors who participate in the many programs of the center.
Wesley Community Center’s, A Garden in a Village, will serve as a place to educate people of all ages and backgrounds about the importance of proper nutrition for the purpose child development, educational achievement, chronic disease prevention and obesity prevention.
Benefits of a Community Garden
- Produces nutritious food
- Reduces family food budgets
- Preserves green space
- Contributes to sustainability
- Encourages self-reliance
- Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
A Garden Built for Sharing
- Will add additional resources to Wesley's food cooperative
- Will provide an edible education to the children of Wesley Community Center
- Can be a gathering place for people to work, learn and share their gifts, time and talents